Saturday, April 22, 2017

Week 10


Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the late post but I wanted to finish the model before posting.

Displaying image.png

Displaying image.png

Displaying image.png

Displaying image.png
(Yellow tubes are 1.25 inch diameter and .065 inch wall thickness)
(Red tubes are 1 inch diameter and .03 inch wall thickness)
(The checkered circle in the center is the models center of mass as determined by the program)

     It took long time but the model is finally done. I really enjoyed the process especially towards the end when I finally figured out all the tools I needed to use. Once the 3D sketch was finished, adding the body pipes was fairly simple. I did have to custom make the above tube dimensions but once I figured out how to create the new parameters for the tubes, the second set of dimensions was very straight forward. The only hard parts afterwards were formatting end pieces to connect correctly and trimming excess material at intersections like they would be on the real chassis. I also tested out the model's center of mass and check in with one of the  ASU team members to see if it was correct, which it was. This is vital to the chassis because if the center of mass is off on the actual car, the chance of the car rolling greatly increases if the car jumps off any dirt ramps the courses might have.

Overall I found this project extremely interesting and rewarding. I really enjoyed working down at ASU, especially the times when I got to learn how to use new tools like the lathe, milling machine, welders, etc. However, working on the model in Solidworks was definitely the superior part of my project and learning the program by myself, I feel will be more useful for my future use.

Thank you all for following along over these past ten weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment